What Makes Rats Difficult To Control As Pests?
The following five factors contribute to their intelligence and ability to evade pest control measures:
- Rats are highly agile and flexible, able to fit through small spaces and gaps.
- They have a high reproductive rate, an average of eight liters per year.
- They are cautious of new environments and objects, making it hard to trap them.
- They have access to easy food sources in human habitats.
- They are nocturnal and have excellent hiding abilities, making it difficult to locate and remove them.
When are rats most active and searching for food?
Rats are nocturnal pests, active and foraging for food during the night. This makes it difficult to detect their presence and monitor their activity. Evidence of their presence, such as droppings, urine stains, gnaw marks, and scratching sounds, may be seen during the day. However, this could indicate a severe infestation. To effectively detect and monitor rat activity, it is important to conduct proper pest inspections and utilize technologies such as cameras and digitalized control systems.
Common species of rats in Singapore
The most prevalent types of rats found in Singapore are Norway or Sewer Rats (Rattus Norvegicus), Roof Rats (Rattus Rattus Diardii), Little Mouse Rats (Rattus Exulans), and House Mice (Mus Musculus).
How long can rats live?
Rats can have a lifespan of 2-4 years as pets with proper care, while their life expectancy in the wild is around 1-3 years. City rats can be tough and may even be able to avoid poison, so it’s essential to eliminate them safely and effectively through bait consumption or trapping. Keep in mind that rats can also spread diseases, so it’s crucial to handle them with caution.
Are Natural Remedies Effective In Deterring Rats?
Various natural remedies use scent masking as a way to repel pests, including the use of essential oils such as peppermint. However, the effectiveness of these methods is questionable. While the strong scent may temporarily confuse the rats, it is unlikely to completely eliminate them and could potentially spread their presence to other areas. Effective rat control requires a combination of proper pest control measures, soundproofing, and proper environmental sanitation practices.
Consequences of a rat infestation
Rats can be carriers of various dangerous bacteria and viruses, which they spread in poorly sanitized environments, such as drains, sewers, basements, waste areas, and false ceilings. They leave pathogens and droppings on food surfaces, making food preparation areas vulnerable to contamination. Some of the diseases that rats can cause include:
- Hantavirus: Spread through rats’ urine and droppings and bites from infected rats. Symptoms include fever, nausea, muscle aches, rashes, and in severe cases, life-threatening organ failure, respiratory disorders, and shock.
- Leptospirosis: A bacterial infection spread through contaminated water and food or open wounds. Symptoms include fever, headache, vomiting, red eyes, and in severe cases, jaundice, meningitis, hemorrhage, and death.
- Rat Bite Fever: A bacterial disease spread through urine and mucous secretions. Symptoms include fever, vomiting, headache, rashes, pain, aches, diarrhea, and in some cases, internal organ infections.
- Salmonellosis: A common bacterial disease caused by contamination. Symptoms include fever, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, and abdominal cramps. In severe cases, it can lead to dehydration and fluid loss.
Signs of rat infestations
Signs of hidden rats in your property include:
- Scratching or scurrying sounds coming from walls, ceilings, cabinets, and hidden corners.
- Presence of cylindrical-shaped droppings (sausage-like) that are black or brown in color.
- Burrows or holes used by rats to hide and store food.
- Footprints and smear mark left behind as they travel along baseboards and crawl spaces.
- A musty, pungent odor from droppings and urine stains.
- Physical sightings of rats during the day indicate a severe infestation.
Solutions to a rat infestation
Rats can cause serious problems for businesses and households in Singapore. From destroying packaging and leaving droppings to being carriers of diseases and damaging electrical wires, rat infestations can cause both property damage and health hazards. To address this problem, you could either try DIY methods or hire a professional pest control company. While DIY methods may involve buying traps or poisons, a professional pest control company can assess the situation and offer more comprehensive solutions. This can include protecting the premise’s reputation, meeting regulatory requirements, preventing food contamination, and providing peace of mind.
There is no one-size-fits-all solution to rat control, as rats are smart and adaptable creatures. The best way to tackle a rat infestation is to adopt a multi-pronged approach and work in partnership with a pest control company. Here are some preventive measures you can take:
- Maintain good hygiene and upkeep of your property
- Regularly dispose of trash and keep garbage cans closed
- Store food in tightly sealed containers
- Clean up grease and grime from surfaces
- Seal any cracks or crevices in the building to prevent rat entry
- Keep doors closed in production and warehouse areas to prevent rat entry
- Reduce clutter and minimize hiding places for rats by keeping boxes and mess to a minimum.
At Eminent Pest Control, our comprehensive rodent control program includes:
- A comprehensive inspection of your property to determine the most appropriate solution.
- Securing your premises to prevent rodents from entering.
- Mechanical sealing of cracks and crevices. Using deterrents to make your property unappealing to rodents.
- Implementing trapping methods such as cage traps, glue boards, or snap traps.
- Using rodenticides to control a high population of rats quickly.
Why can’t I do it myself?
While it may seem easy to trap and eliminate a single rat, locating their hiding spots and nesting sites can prove challenging, as they are small and skilled at hiding from humans. It’s important to seek the assistance of a professional pest control company to identify the underlying cause of your rat problem and implement a more effective, long-term solution.
Eliminate Your Rat Problem With Eminent Pest Control
While there are various methods for getting rid of rats, such as DIY options using baits, traps, and repellents, these solutions may only provide temporary relief and do not address the root cause of the issue, which is the removal of their nests. An incorrect or inadequate application can further exacerbate the situation or threaten your health and safety, particularly when handling baits and toxins. Consider working with a professional pest control company like Eminent Pest Control for a more effective and safe solution. Contact us today or book a free diagnosis now!